How can a DLC ensure that citizens within the community have access to an environment where an AUP protects members as well as the community itself, where individuals uphold laws, and a cooperative/collective venture provides robust, safe, and ethical resources and opportunities for learning?
The Digital Learning Community can ensure that citizens within the community have access to an environment where Acceptable Use Polices protect members as well as the community by have polices in place before a person is allowed to join and a person must acknowledge before joining. Once a person is in the DLC there must be a DLC administrator to monitor action and receive complaints about offenders. With stern polices in place, a diligent administrator and swift action taken with any who violate the policy a safe and ethical learning environment can be in place.
What is the best way to establish and maintain a flourishing DLC where citizens understand, observe, and are inclined to willingly support and ultimately benefit from Digital Rights and Responsibilities?
In my opinion, the best way to establish and maintain a flourishing DLC where citizens understand, observe, and are inclined to willingly support the Digital Rights and Responsibilities is to outline the expectations and polices upfront. Once a person acknowledges the expectations, it is easy to remove them from a group for failure to follow policy.
Guidelines will be presented an acknowledged at the time of access.
1. Respect- Respect will be shown to all members at all times.
2. Netiquette- Netiquette rules will be reviewed and follow.
3. Responsibility- Each user is responsible for their own actions and will be held accountable.
4. Professionalism- Each member will act in a professional manner at all times.
5. Profanity- Profanity will not be tolerated.
6. Members must agree and sign off on polices to access the DLC.
7. The administrator will have the final decision for usage in all cases alleging misuse or abuse.
My name is Kris Martinez and I blog about learning public safety.